June 13, 2024

If you’re an online retailer and accept credit card payments, you’ll need to report the 1099-K forms that you receive from payment processors.
Key Takeaways
• Form 1099-K includes the annual gross amount of all reportable payment transactions made through a payment card or third-party payment network.
• Third-party network settlement organizations generally include banks or other organizations that process credit card transactions for a merchant.

• These organizations also include services like PayPal, Venmo, and CashApp, which settle payment card transactions.
• Online auction payment facilitators and marketplaces that connect independent sellers with customers, such as eBay and Etsy, or gig-worker platforms like Uber and Lyft also generally act as third-party settlement organizations.
Get every dollar you deserve with unlimited tax advice from experts who know self-employment taxes inside and out. Whether you’re a freelancer, independent contractor, small business owner, or have multiple streams of income, TurboTax Self-Employed can help you uncover the industry-specific deductions you qualify for. Plus, you can get up to an additional $20 off when you file with TurboTax Self-Employed.
Form 1099-K, Payment Card and Third-Party Network Transactions is an IRS form used to report credit/debit card transactions and third-party network payments. Minimum transaction reporting thresholds have decreased from $20,000 plus 200 transactions in years prior to 2022 to $600 without regard to the number of transactions for years 2022 and after. This change in the reporting threshold will make several more small business owners, self-employed individuals, gig workers, freelancers, and independent contractors more likely to receive 1099-K forms compared to previous years.
If you’re self-employed or work as an independent contractor, you typically report your income, including that from forms 1099-K, on Schedule C of your Form 1040, individual income tax return. If your business is organized as a pass-through entity like a multi-member LLC, LLC electing to be treated as a corporation, S Corp, or Partnership, you’ll need to report this information on your Form 1120, 1120S, or 1065.
IRS Form 1099-K came into existence as part of the 2008 Housing and Economic Recovery Act—even though it has nothing to do with housing. This form was created in 2012 for the 2011 tax year to ensure that individuals and businesses report all of their income for tax purposes. It requires credit card companies, such as MasterCard and Visa, and third-party processors, such as PayPal and Amazon, to report the payment transactions they process for businesses. Therefore, if you accept credit card or electronic payments, you may end up with a 1099-K at the end of the year from each payment processor that summarizes all of your sales transactions.
Most retailers and businesses that accept online credit card payments and other electronic payments from customers will receive a 1099-K if their annual processing activity has met the following guidelines:
If you have met these criteria, you should receive a copy of the 1099-K in the mail by January 31 of the following year. The IRS will also receive a copy of all the 1099-K forms that are issued to you. If you believe you should have received a 1099-K and haven't received one by that date, consider contacting the processor to find out if one has been prepared for you. If the processor didn't prepare a 1099-K, you still need to report all of your income.
You should receive Form 1099-K by January 31, 2022, for the 2021 year if you received payments:
Through the American Rescue Plan Act, Congress sharply reduced the reporting threshold for which third-party payment networks are required to issue a Form 1099-K to $600 and eliminated the transaction quantity requirement. The changes became effective for calendar years beginning after December 31, 2021.
As a result, more workers and sellers will likely receive 1099-K forms than before for reporting years 2022 and afterward. The law also clarified that only payments made for the purchase of goods and services are reportable third-party network transactions from March 11, 2021, and later.
The new 1099-K threshold for 2022 (for returns for calendar years 2022 and afterward) is:
If you use a credit or debit card reader or third-party app such as PayPal in your business, you should avoid using it for non-business purposes. If you do, these payments will most likely be included with your other payments received for your business and show up on your Form 1099-K unless the payment processor has a system for separating business and personal transactions for you.
For example, if you split costs with a family member, roommate, or other non-business acquaintance through a cost-sharing situation, you wouldn’t want to use your business payment card reader to get paid for these items. The payment settlement entity likely wouldn’t be able to differentiate the business payments from the non-business payments. These payments received for splitting costs with someone generally aren't considered taxable income. These are typically considered non-taxable payments and shouldn’t be reported on your tax return as income.
TurboTax Live experts look out for you. Expert help your way: get help as you go, or hand your taxes off. You can talk live to tax experts online for unlimited answers and advice OR, have a dedicated tax expert do your taxes for you, so you can be confident in your tax return. Enjoy up to an additional $20 off when you get started with TurboTax Live
While the $600 minimum reporting thresholds for 2022 and onward are the same, these forms actually report different information. Credit card companies, third-party payment processors, and online platforms that process payments are required to send 1099-K forms to report payments they processed during the tax year for merchants.
Prior to the introduction of the 1099-K, many businesses were required to provide a 1099-MISC form to many of their suppliers if they paid them more than $600 annually. If the transactions occurred through credit card or third-party processors, there's a possibility of these transactions being reported on both the 1099-K and 1099-MISC forms.
The IRS has directed that any 1099-MISC payments that are reported on a 1099-K should be reported on the latter form only and that a 1099-MISC need not be issued. However, in practice, many companies are still providing 1099-MISC forms. To avoid double taxation, keep detailed sales records and deduct any payments also reported on the 1099-MISC form from the 1099-K payment before reporting them on your tax return – and be prepared to explain the deductions to the IRS.
1099-MISC forms are used to report payments made to others during a trade or business. Previously, companies reported payments for nonemployee compensation on Form 1099-MISC. However, the IRS reintroduced Form 1099-NEC for reporting this information when an independent contractor, self-employed worker, or gig-economy worker is paid $600 or more by another business in a tax year. Any payments falling under the reporting requirements of the 1099-NEC typically would not also be included on a 1099-K nor on a 1099-MISC.
If you receive a Form 1099-K, it generally includes the gross amount of all reportable payment transactions from a payment processor. If you meet the reporting threshold for the given year from one or more payment processors or third-party settlement entities, you'll receive a separate 1099-K from each processor reporting the payments you’ve received. The gross amount reported on your 1099-K often doesn’t include any adjustments for credits, cash equivalents, discount amounts, fees, refunded amounts, or any other amounts.
Even if you don’t receive a 1099-K from a payment settlement entity due to failing to exceed the minimum reporting threshold, or for any other reason, you should still report all payments received to reflect the actual amount of money earned in your trade or business. Likewise, you should also include all forms of income unless specifically excluded, including cash, checks, tips and/or discounts, goods or services received in lieu of payment.
Once you’ve gathered all of your business income, including that reported on Form 1099-K, you'll use this information on Forms 1120, 1120S, or 1065 if your business is organized as a corporation or partnership, or on Form 1040 using Schedule C if operating as a sole proprietor or Schedule F if operating a Farm.
In some cases, you may receive a Form 1099-K that doesn’t belong to you or is incorrect in the total gross payment amount being reported. This can happen for common errors like:
Review your business records to check the gross receipts reported on your Form 1099-K are accurate and that your tax information is correct. If the information found on your 1099-K doesn’t match your records, consider contacting the payment settlement entity (PSE) that issued the form.
To contact the PSE, their name and telephone number should be provided on your form in the bottom left below their address information. If the information is incorrect, request that they issue a corrected Form 1099-K.
TurboTax Self-Employed will ask you simple questions about your life and help you fill out all the right forms. Perfect for independent contractors and small businesses. We’ll search for over 500 tax deductions to get you every dollar you deserve and help you uncover industry-specific deductions.


About Author